Check out the growing gallery wall in our kitchen, but this one is functional! Eventually, I’d love to frame some photos of the kids eating and the King and I as kids cooking, but another day….
So on to the latest adventure in home improvement here at the estate in Chicago…
Grand Central Station in our Kitchen…
MEAL PLANNING made pretty
Before: An ordinary frame from TJ Maxx
Each week, the King and I meal plan. It saves time, money, and sanity. Sometimes on scraps of paper. Sometimes on a calendar I print out from the internet that gets misplaced or torn by a small child. So, I came up with a solution.
It was simple. Took me all of 15 minutes from start to finish.
First, I took apart the frame and measure the fabric to size. I left about an inch of fabric around the frame. (This fabric was the rough draft…I just changed it to black…)
I simply taped the fabric to the mat, so in case I tire of the fabric, I can reuse it elsewhere. I considered glue, but had seconds thoughts…
After I reassembled the frame, I was able to remove the sticker in one piece. That is the FIRST time that has ever happened to me, so rejoice. Here’s proof.
Next, I measured and placed down the days of the week abbreviations with stickers I found months ago at the Tar-jay clearance bin.
Then, I busted out my new addiction. My trusty chalk markers.
I changed the fabric to black because the pattern was too busy…
And so now ya’ll can see what gluten-free dinners look like. Lots of protein and veggies.
Moose, Monkey, Doodle, and I take a ton of supplements. I can’t keep it straight most days, so I converted an old mirror from my college days to this dazzling new chalkboard to track all of our vitamins, enzymes, probiotics, etc.
Here’s how I did it.
First, I took adhesive chalkboard and measured it to size. (That way, if I ever want the mirror again, just remove the chalkboard)
A problem arose, those annoying bubbles. Back in my teaching days, I learned a little trick. To rid of those pesky air bubbles, make a tiny pin prick and release the air.
Then, out came the stickers from Target’s clearance section and of course, my love, chalk markers.
The gold color was a bit off, so I rubbed a little leftover silver Liquitex acrylic paint on the frame to tone it down.
The King was not too happy about me pounding nails in the wall at 11:00, but I just had to post this!
I feel more organized already. Now to tackle the hell that is the pile of bills. That will be another post.
Actually, that could be a whole other blog.
Hope this inspires you to do the same. Post back here and link if you copy this project.
This post is being linked up all over blogland…(check my blogs section in the header for details)